The children in KS2 at Lincoln Gardens Primary School have weekly French lessons. At Lincoln Gardens we believe that learning a foreign language is liberation from insularity and provides an opening to other cultures. A high-quality languages education should foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world.
At Lincoln Gardens Primary School our aims for languages is for all KS2 pupils:
• To foster an interest in learning another language which is not their mother tongue.
• To introduce children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and fun.
• To understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
• To speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
• To be able to write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety grammatical structures that they have learnt.
• To discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
Here is an outline of some of the main topics we teach:
• Greetings and French culture
• Days of the week
• Months of the year
• Parts of the body
At Lincoln Gardens we have ‘a little helper’ called Pierre who helps encourage the children to talk in French and increase their confidence.