We strive to provide high quality Music provision that inspires all pupils to realise and achieve their musical potential.
When listening and appraising, our pupils engage with, and are inspired by, a rich catalogue of high quality, historically and culturally diverse, live and recorded music. These experiences foster a love of music in our children, whilst encouraging and nurturing their individual musical tastes and improving their aural memory.
We recognise and celebrate the transformative power of singing, and seek to enable our learners to find and use their singing voices with expression and creativity from an early age. As pupils grow and develop, we nurture their love of singing, whilst increasing vocal accuracy, fluency and control.
We believe that all children should have access to and experience of playing a wide range of musical instruments, with the option to extend their learning into small group and/or whole class tuition with a Music specialist in Key Stage 2.
The opportunity for pupils to discover and develop their talent as musicians is vital to our curriculum, and plays an important role in increasing their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.
National Curriculum Aims
Key Stage 1
- Pupils will be taught to:
use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes.
- play tuned and untuned instruments musically.
- listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music.
- experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music.
Key Stage 2
- Pupils will be taught to
play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression.
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the inter-related dimensions of music.
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory.
- use and understand staff and other musical notations.
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians.
- develop an understanding of the history of music.
https://charanga.com/yumu/login Access your current Charanga music lessons at home so that you can revisit favourites songs and join in with the singing whilst this is still restricted in school. Usernames and passwords were sent home in a letter during Summer 2021. Please ask your class teacher if you need a replacement letter.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/ks1-music/zbcjscw BBC Teach KS1 Music
https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/bring-the-noise BBC Teach Bring the Noise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zwxhfg8 BBC Bitesize KS2 Music
https://www.nyphilkids.org New York Philharmonic KIDZONE featuring some amazing interactive games!
https://www.singup.org/singupathome Our favourite Sing Up songs, free to use at home during the pandemic.
https://www.outoftheark.co.uk/ootam-at-home/thank-you/ Free singing resources with lyrics videos for Out of the Ark.
https://www.classicsforkids.com Fun and accessible resources to teach children about classical music and the great composers.